Wednesday 8 July 2009

Battery Green

Today, we decided to go back to Brixham to do a little fishing, but somewhere different, Battery Green gardens, this is a very pretty spot, and was used during World War II as a defence position. We parked by the harbour, where the sea was ruffled by the stiff breeze and the little yachts bobbed up and down.

The flowers in the laboratory gardens were lovely, a really dark Buddleja, and lots of frothy fennel

I love the flowers on this, mine is just coming out in the garden, and the bees and hover flies love it too.

We followed the path up the steps, its part of the South West Coast path..

The path was edged with Buddleja here too..

It wound through little tunnels of trees...

till we came to a nice natural rocky platform to set up camp..

it had all the necessary requirements, lovely views across to Paignton and Torquay..

Interesting plants....

and nice little hidey holes..

The wind was quite brisk, although not cold, but it made the sea quite choppy, which I found hard to spin in, so I left Pete fishing and scrambled over the rocks, to a more sheltered piece behind him. The tide was dropping, and revealing lovely clumps of seaweed, and little limpets, stuck to the rocks...

It was a nice little spot, the sun was warm, and it was peaceful, and the harbour was starting to get busy with yachts, trawlers and the ferry tacking backwards and forwards. I was quietly spinning away, minding my own business, when I felt a fish on the line, so I whipped it out, and it was a little Pollack, so small, it wasnt as big as my spinner...lol I hadnt even hooked him either, I think he must have had an `Elvis` type lip and it just caught it, as he fell off onto the rocks when I wound him in, he was fine though, and Pete having heard me yell came and popped him back into the sea, such excitement!

Needless to say, Pete was catching something more worthwhile, some lovely Wrasse, they were such lovely colours, but of course they went back in again.

I stopped and had a coffee, and watched Pete fish, and enjoyed the views, when suddenly we saw a seal, he swam all round the rocks, right beneath us, then round to the side I`d been fishing in, he kept popping his head up to look at us, then swimming off, I couldnt manage to take a picture, but I did get him on video, which I`ll put at the end.

I decided to go for a walk, theres another little cove, Fishcombe across from where we were fishing, so I headed for that..

Theres lots of old war time look outs on the green..

I noticed the crocosmia was coming into flower...

there were lots of brambles, and a pretty Meadow Brown was sunning itself

Fishcombe is a lovely little tiny cove, it only has a small beach, but theres a nice little beach shop, which sells buckets and spades, teas and ice creams, and its surrounded by a lovely wood, so an ideal spot for all manner of things, we had a nice morning, although we were only there for a handful of hours....but it was so nice to see the seal and enjoy being outside.

3 comments:

Ramblings From Spain said...

What a lovely trip out, with so many nice things.. I'm sure seeing the little seal made your day! But the wrasse were an interesting ole fish too, and the little beach just sweet and perfect. Thank you for sharing xx

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

A wonderful day - what a good seal that was.

Timi said...

Oh, it was a lovely seal...he was curious, I think...:o))