Thursday 12 February 2009

Torre Abbey

The sky this morning, when I walked to work, was the colour of a bruise, with wisps of pink.
There was a frost in the night, and the air was chilly down by the harbour.
After a busy morning, I went for a walk in my lunch break, I decided to have a look round Torre Abbey, it was founded in 1196 as a monastery, then in later years became a country house and home to the Cary family.
Its a fine looking building, and I could see a beautiful crystal chandelier winking from the top window

These rather nice old stone steps would have been used for mounting horses
I followed a little path alongside the abbey, under some lovely stately trees, where I found this little pets cemetery, where someones faithfully dogs had been buried...
I walked back through the park, where I saw this lovely pale ghost of a tree..
It had the most beautiful bark, peeling back in crispy layers...
And in the border, these lovely flowers, I loved the little iris, such a pretty colour.

1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What charming old buildings you have in your country - I would love to explore them too. Thanks for the nice tour.